This playwriting competition is a search for an African adaptation of Sol T Plaatje’s ‘MHUDI’, first published in 1930.
There is no entry fee.
Closing date for submissions: 16th December 2021 at 23h00 (South African Time)
All entrants are subject to the following conditions:
- Ideally the play adaptation will be written, for the majority, in English.
- Entrants are required to submit their manuscript by electronic submission only.
- Each entrant can only submit one script and authored by one playwright only.
- Any adaptation may not be under option or scheduled for a professional production or publication at the time of submission.
- Plays must be in a professional format
- The prize and production of the adaptation are contingent on the playwright agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- African Shadow Productions reserve the right to not choose a winner for any reason and reserve the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner.
- The adaptation must have a title page, a brief paragraph describing the adaptation, list of characters and list of acts and scenes.
- A cash prize of R40,000.00 (ZAR) is available for the winner
- If, for whatever reason, no winner is declared then the prize fund will be equally distributed to the best four playwrights and there will be no production.
- Subject to conditions, the winning adaptation will be produced.
- The result of the competition will be announced on or before the 31st January 2022.
- Be in a professional format
- Have a title page
- Include a brief description of the play
- Include a list of characters
- Include a list of acts and scenes
- Either upload your manuscript with the link below or email to
Full details on www.mhudicompetition.com